Thursday, February 18, 2010

Make Do and Mend (Then)


Do you ever get a glimpse of what an age that you've lived in will look like in the history books 100 years from now?


I am a late comer to the idea of "make do and mend". I used to view being artful, inventive and "crafty" as a luxury and skill that was paramount to the final rounding off of a truly accomplished, old fashioned modern woman. (Muddled thinking I think!) It was the romantic mentality of an American girl growing up in the richness of the Reagan years. If I was going to be creative, it meant that I was going to go out of my way and that I was going to spend money on it. Whatever I did, it was for the experience more than out of necessity.

That age was such a dreamy and romantic one for more people than just me.

You know, I just bet you that Princess Diana had something to do with all of this. (I mean, aren't all princesses able to sew and talk to mice?) I was just 13 when she married Prince Charles. 




Well, I learned how to sew. I was so enamoured of Laura Ashley Style and Liberty of London prints!






I went to England when I was 16 or 17 and headed straight for that little, humble Liberty of London fabric store. Heaven! 

This dress was the result







One spring break, my best friend and I decided to sew Laura ashley jumpers. Easter morning, we were bleary eyed but triumphant. We had our frocks!




My bell dress!








(By the way, I love this hanger!)




Were all of these things on Pier 66 ?!?







Back to the present I came with a bump this morning as I was remembering those long gone times. Precious to me they were with so many memories and opportunities.

However, I love where I am now!!!


Quite honestly, once a dreamer, always a dreamer.


Love, Katy Noelle xx


3 comments:

  1. It's funny Katy because Make Do and Mend is gathering quite a cult following here in the UK, with lots of really creative people making the most fabulous things. Back in the day my mother was always knitting and she made all our clothes too, but out of necessity really - money was tight - so I think its more for fun nowadays but great all the same! I have just started knitting again and find it quite relaxing really although I'm not very good at all!

    I love Liberty - its like stepping into another era when you enter those doors!

    Have a lovely weekend.
    Jeanne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just caught up on your post Katy. Just so lovely with wonderful words to back those pretty pictures. I have always made do and mended, but with an eagle eye to the costing as it has always been fuelled by the need to save the pennies. It seems quite funny to me that it now has such a cult following, but it is so lovely to see the results of everyone's work. Your dresses are amazing! How hard you must have worked on them. Thank you so much for your lovely comments about my blog. That walk is so special and I wish everyone could amble the pathway for a bit to see it for themselves. Much love to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy!

    I enjoyed reading your blog. You do a nice job with your pictures and the way you tell stories. How is Halley(sp?). Any signs of motherhood yet? Chub is so funny...whenever we go in the car now he starts whining because he thinks we are going to see Halley. Silly little man. He does seem more mature now. He has been loving all this snow, it is hard to get him back in the house! Take care.

    Shelly Holley

    ReplyDelete

Short and witty, long and heartfelt, just a blip to say hello - I love all of your comments! Feel free ...

ShareThis