Sunday, September 2, 2012

Quite suddenly!




Quite suddenly.....

 ...the garden has taken on a beautiful glow...







...and there are more tomatoes ripening on the vine than one could possibly eat in one day...



...and nature is beginning to take on her seasonal autumn colors - yellowy greens, vintage whites, rusty reds and golden yellows - and everything seems to be a bit tattered and torn...



...and it compliments so many of the pretty colonial homes in our town just perfectly!







...and firewood is seriously and suddenly on a lot of people's mind!!!



 Quite suddenly, wood piles are springing up everywhere (but this isn't our wood pile. These lucky people are farther along with the job than we are... =/)



 ...and I think that the wood pile buzz is because some mornings are so chill...
 


...that it seems to settle into the very bones of our homes...



...and, since I'm too stubborn to turn up the heat, yet.... (just not quite yet, please...)

...I'm having to put on ridiculous amounts of layers....

(and I'm still cold!!!)




...and it makes me want to bake and fill the house with warm and cozy smells.... and tastes, too, of course!!! =]

(Not to mention I want to cuddle up next to the stove!)



...and we're back into the routine of early school mornings and homework and backpacks and lunch bags and yellow pencils...



...and, quite suddenly...

I'm thinking that I need to leave for my ritual evening vespers' walk drastically earlier than I've been used to this summer because... 



... I'm seeing a lot more deer out in the meadows...

(which I like! but...)





...by the time I stumble down the last stretch of road in the dark, this is what the pond across the street from us looks like...



xo


13 comments:

  1. Hello Katy:
    How perfectly lovely your garden looks as summer gives way to autumn. And what wonderful images this post contains, made even more enjoyable as they also serve to give us a very real sense of where you are and a little insight into the routine of your daily life.

    We trust that the really cold weather is still some way off for you. This week here promises to be over 30C!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your images are stunning! What a truly beautiful place to live! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowwww Kathy.....love this post !! each picture is so great !!...love from me...xxx...

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I read this post, I realise how much I have missed them. Your words and photo's look perfect together. You really have the capacity to take us along and show us how you and your family are and how nature around you is.

    It's getting chillier in Holland too, but fortunately I don't have to wear layers yet :-) It's dark again in the morning, when I get to work. The evenings are getting shorter too. I still have to get used to it. I don't want the summer to end yet. It means the gardening season is almost over.....

    Your garden looks like a dream! I am so jealous of your William Shakespeare rose ;-)! It looks beautiful......and you have red tomatoes too!!!

    Enjoy the last few golden days of summer!

    Love, Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some terrific colors going on in your yard dear Katy! Ah yes September... what a beautiful month. It is cooler here today and I too am in layers - no heat to be turned on yet. I am hoping for a long warm September. Wishing you a beautiful one my friend!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. A tea room and gift shop ???wowwww...please show it on your blog !!...no we have the same shop ..but we are painting the floor...it is almost done noe !!..love from me...xxx..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Katy

    Thank you for this beautiful post and I was particularly taken by our Evening Vespers' Walk. You live in a beautiful place, I love when you show images of the pond.

    Thank you sons for their beautiful smiles and joyful ways.

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Katy,

    Just tried to find the photo's you pinned on pinterest, but I couldn't find them. I did find some other photo's of yours, which are stunning! You really have an eye for beauty.

    I wanted to reply to one of your last comments about my stall at the Swan Market, but I forgot all about it. It popped straight into my head again today :-)! You told me you and your sister rented a stall too at the 'fall foliage fair'. It sounds like much fun. I never realised you sold your photographs. I think you will definitely find lots of interested people,because they are simply lovely.

    Do you know the film 'Bright Star', about the short life of the English poet John Keats? I think you should see it. Some of the scenes in the film (fields of flowers, trees with blossoms, butterflies in a room) remind me of some of your photographs. It really is a bit of a sad film, but in a way beautiful as well.

    I wish you and your sister lots of fun at the fair. I hope her paintings and your photographs will sell well! I will be thinking of you.

    Hope your walnut cake will be a success!!

    Love,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What luck to be surrounded by such beauty! Thank you for sharing and thank you for your visit to my Blog. I had missed you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Katy, what a lovely snapshot of an autumn day this is. Your garden looks glorious in the mellow light. We have just returned from the warmth of France to quite autumnal weather here, with cold mornings and nights - but clearly not as cold as you are experiencing over there in Vermont! I really don't want summer to end, which has been hit and miss to say the least.

    Your beautiful rose is now etched in my mind!

    Love
    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally enjoyed this post and can certainly relate to the chill in the house this morning! I love the moonlit shot of the pond as I can't get the knack of night time shots maybe because I don't use a tripod.
    Your garden shots are lovely too-I love your combination of Russian sage,sedum and the rose colored plant(not sure what it is).
    Thanks for your lovely comments. I think every year a garden gets bigger and better and drought certainly stresses plants and leaves them open to more pests and disease.
    Take care,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Katy,
    I just found your beautiful blog. Love your photos and your openness to share. I too am a pastor's wife or rather was. Hubby is still ministering just not in the pulpit so much these days. I too have three boys {grown up now} and I am a home maker at heart. I thoroughly enjoyed looking through some of your posts and I am a new follower. Hope you're having a lovely weekend and please come and visit me when you have a moment.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis